This Father's Day, we celebrate our love of cars with what we believe to be the best source of information on the "best of" cars. From the coolest and the hottest, to the most expensive and the greatest, this is our list!
The Coolest Cars in the World
As roadandtrack.com puts it, "Cars don't just appear, they evolve." In this list of the fifty coolest cars in the world, we step back into history and appreciate the technology and style of the past to see how modern automotive efforts sizes up against the past.
To make this popularmechanics.com list of hot one hundred cars, the only hard and fast rule was that at least one fully drivable specimen had to have been manufactured. So if you thought you knew your cars, read this fascinating list.
What makes a car expensive? A number of obvious factors contribute to the cost of a car, such as manufacturing, research and development, labour, and materials. Other factors however are what is more interesting. A car's price tag can easily increase just because of a name badge or its heritage rather than the mod cons that it comes with. That is why you will probably not see many new cars in this list:
1. 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO - $38.1 Million (R508,46M)
2. 1957 Ferarri 335S - $35.7 Million (R476,43M)
3. 1954 Mercedes-Benz W196 - $29.6 Million (R395,03M)
4. 1956 Ferrari 290 MM - $28 Million (R373,67M)
5. 1964 Ferrari 275 GTB/C Speciale - $26.4 Million (R352,32M)
6. 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4*S NART Spider - $25 Million (R333,64M)
7. 1964 Ferrari 250 LM - $17.6 Million (R234,88M)
8. 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlineta Speciale - $16.5 Million (R220,20M)
9. 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa - $16.4 Million (R218,87M)
10. 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider - $15.9 Million (R212,19M)
11. 1954 Ferrari 375-Plus Spider Competizione - $15.4 Million (R205,52M)
12. 1962 Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato - $14.3 Million (R190,84M)
13. 1998 McLaren F1 'LM-Specification' - $13.75 Million (R183,50M)
14. 1956 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Berlinetta 'Tour de France' - $13.2 Million (R176,16M)
15. 1953 Jaguar C-Type Works Lightweight - $13.2 Million (R176,16M)
Read full details with fascinating facts, figures, and images:
No "A" list of cars would be complete without a list of the fastest cars in the world. But as Wikipedia puts it, "comparing claimed speeds is difficult as there is no standardised method to determine top speed, and no authority to verify such claims." Therefore, due to inconsistencies and dubious claims from various sources, we chose Wikipedia as the most trusted source for our list as they arrived with their conclusions based on certain criteria.
This is their list of record-breaking street-legal production vehicles - post 1945 and over 200km/h only:
1. 1949 Jaguar XK120 - 200.5km/h
2. 1955 Mercedes Benz 300SL - 242.5km/h
3. 1959 Aston Martin DB4 GT - 245km/h
4. 1963 Iso Grifo GL 365 - 259km/h
5. 1965 AC Cobra - 266km/h
6. 1967 Lambhorgini Miura P400 - 275km/h
7. 1967 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona - 280km/h
8. 1974 Lamborghini Countach LP400 - 288km/h
9. 1982 Lambhorgini Countach LP500 S - 293km/h
10. 1984 Ferrari 288 GTO - 303km/h
11. 1986 Porche 959 - 317km/h
12. 1987 Ruf CTR - 342km/h
13. 1993 McClaren F1 - 370km/h
14. 2005 Bucatti Veyron 16.4 - 408.47km/h
15. 2010 Bucatti Veyron Super Sport - 415km/h
Find more details with fascinating facts, figures, and images:
There are a multitude of opinions on what makes a car great and even more on which ones those are. Since this is subjective and depends on the viewpoint you're standing from, one reason we like this list is because of the title " The 50 Most Iconic Cars in History":
What kind of car suits your dad? Auto Pedigree has a wide range of cars that will not be the most expensive, but definitely be the best quality used car you can afford. If quality and low mileage is important to you, why not visit one of our branches and browse around.
Auto Pedigree and the authors make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or by following any link on this site. Auto Pedigree and the authors will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. Auto Pedigree and the authors will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.